Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had to share this blooper from my map

Agree with the above, it looks cool.

Putting the finishing touches (gameplay) on this right now. I'll probably have an undetailed release ready soon, hopefully tonight unless something comes up.

My body is ready.
    Hey there, I'm Lunick.

Alright, here it is:

db_biopit_a1.zip

Some known issues:

• Most lighting and texturing is horrible and temporary
    • The dynamic light in the Pulsar room bleeds through the ceiling - I didn't feel like waiting for the lightmaps to build again, so a fix for this can wait for the next version
    • Somehow I accidentally moved one of the huge nukeage face's vertices so there's a visible gap in one area, again didn't catch this until after I built the lightmaps
    • No escape from the nukeage pit near the start - I'm probably going to put a lift or teleporter in there eventually
    • Don't reenter the pulsar room if you die after getting the weapon because I'm an idiot and tied the lift script to the weapon, instead of a trigger face, in spite of having the exact same problem with the shotgun, and you'll probably have to cheat to get out

Feel free to make suggestions about the gameplay, anything that could be made better or changed.

This was really fun Some parts seemed like it wasn't scaled to suit the player's size like rooms being too small. I hope in the future you can put different enemy types in as shooting the same enemies got slightly boring. But the new enemies is up to Carn of course.
    Hey there, I'm Lunick.

Really nice map, very high quality too. I didn't get around to finishing it, but I did notice that after the wave of spiderbots near the start, when you go into that acid pit room with all the turrets you can strafejump and hit the platform with the switch, skipping a chunk of the map.

This is really looking good. The architecture looks solid. Havn't downloaded yet but will when I get back from work.

Reminds me that I still have to continue my map...
    Bender gonna get you hiiigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunick View Post
    This was really fun Some parts seemed like it wasn't scaled to suit the player's size like rooms being too small. I hope in the future you can put different enemy types in as shooting the same enemies got slightly boring. But the new enemies is up to Carn of course.
    Any specific examples of rooms you felt were too small? My maps have always suffered from that to an extent, and I'm trying to improve, but I'm afraid there's probably not too much I can do with this map at this stage. If the rooms in question happen to be "exterior" rooms I can try to build on them a bit, but most of the rooms are packed together pretty tight.

Edit: As for enemies, I considered trying to make a new behavior or two, but I figured that for this map at least I'd just use the stock behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by Oven Chips View Post
    Really nice map, very high quality too. I didn't get around to finishing it, but I did notice that after the wave of spiderbots near the start, when you go into that acid pit room with all the turrets you can strafejump and hit the platform with the switch, skipping a chunk of the map.
    Yep, that was intentional. I put the bridge in as an easier way of getting across; I figured it would be good for players who aren't as confident about their jumps. I like to have a couple optional areas in my maps, the "warehouse" leading to the bridge is an example, and so is the conveyor belt room near the end. Then on top of that I put in plenty of secrets, so there's always lots of stuff to find in my maps.

There were some unintentional sequence breaks I (hopefully) got rid of. You used to be able to jump from the starting bridge over to the yellow switch. Previously that switch only raised the bridge, but I realized not too long after discovering the first break that you could easily jump from the area where the yellow bars now to the roof of the starting room, and from there line yourself up on a single roof face (collision between slopes is incredibly wonky) and make the jump into the second part of the map.
    Last edited by Dragonsbrethren; 06-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.